Carlsbad springs - source of health
Karlovy Vary Springs - Springs of Health. The age of water from the Karlovy Vary springs is around 35,000 years, and the depth of the underground lake is approximately 2.5-3 kilometers below the surface. The temperature of the emerging water is 73.4 degrees Celsius. The lithomorphic mineralization of water comes from the surrounding rocks and ranges from 3.8-6.8 g/1 l. Mineral water is used in balneology for both internal (drinking therapy, irrigation, inhalation) and external use (baths).
The effect of spring drinking therapy occurs due to:
- local action on the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines,
- stimulation of digestive enzymes,
- neutralizing effects,
- regular drinking of Karlovy Vary mineral water normalizes the peristalsis of the stomach and intestines,
- has an antispasmodic effect,
- stimulates the secretion of bile and pancreatic enzymes.
A therapeutic course to achieve a stable therapeutic effect lasts for 21 days. However, shorter programs of 7 or 14 days will lead to an improvement in the functioning of the digestive tract and have a significant stimulating effect on metabolic processes in the body.
In 2023, the Balneological Institute in Karlovy Vary, under the leadership of Dr. Ladislav Špišak, conducted research on the therapeutic effects of drinking Karlovy Vary mineral water. For most participants in the study, a significant reduction in liver fat and improved elasticity were observed. Patients reported subjective improvements in symptoms (digestive problems, abdominal pain, bloating, heartburn). Dr. Natalja Lapina also took part in this study and performed diagnostics using the FibroScan device (determining the thickness and fat content of the liver). The therapeutic course with Karlovy Vary mineral water is recommended for patients with the following conditions:
- gastritis, stomach ulcer, colitis, gastro-duodenal reflux, chronic liver and gallbladder diseases
- diabetes and diabetic angiopathy, metabolic syndrome, obesity
- autoimmune thyroiditis, hypothyroidism
- arthritis, osteoarthritis, bursitis, spine osteochondrosis, gout
- polyneuropathy, neuromuscular diseases, Parkinson's disease
Spring drinking therapy leads to improved metabolic processes, restoration of normal bowel function, reduction of liver fat and improvement of the organ's function, detoxication of the digestive tract, and normalization of water and salt metabolism. In combination with physical activity, proper nutrition, and therapeutic procedures, spring drinking therapy leads to a significant improvement in health and weight reduction. The comprehensive spa treatment in Karlovy Vary can also be considered a preventive measure: reducing liver fat leads to a decrease in cholesterol and blood sugar levels (preventing cardiovascular diseases), and eliminating the inflammatory process in the digestive tract prevents its oncological diseases. The external thermal and saline effects of mineral water improve the condition of the skin and reduce joint pain.
Contraindications to spring water spa treatments:
- Acute infectious diseases
- Severe heart failure
- Oncology outside of remission
- Diseases with blood clotting disorders, bleeding (hemophilia)
- Severe motor function disorders, significant instability in the upright position, which may lead to a fall